Friday, April 22, 2005

Friday Nite @ the Movies: Could this Happen in our Schools Today?

When we're home and able, Duane and I like to get a pizza and watch a good movie together on Friday nights. We like all kinds with Duane favoring action/adventure and me, well, romatic comedies or futuristic or true to life...as you can tell from my "Movie Picks" site. As a matter of fact I've picked "Lean on Me" with Morgan Freemon as my recommendation this week. It's a true story about a New Jersey high school principal who used very unconventional means (carrying a baseball bat and a bullhorn throughout the halls) to turn an out of control school where drug dealing, gang fights et al were the norm, into a place where even under-achievers could do well. Would he get away with this today? Absolutely not. Am I advocating that all principals carry around bats and horns? No. But I am advocating courage and character in doing what needs to be done.

© Sharon Hughes 2005

See Sharon's Movie Picks


Comment

No comments: